Your team takes a training course, they master it, ace their tests, and remember it all… forever.
Maybe in a perfect world! But of course our worlds aren’t perfect, and neither are our brains. It is essential that we keep this in mind during training sessions and use innovative techniques that cater to our brains. Here are 12 tips to keep in mind about learning, and hopefully they will inspire us to make our employee training programs more memorable.
- Spreading out learning modules over time drastically increases the potential for knowledge retention.
- Music has a calming effect during learning sessions.
- After one hour, people retain less than half of the content presented.
- People often forget what was never originally learned, only temporarily memorized.
- Data stored in our memories can deteriorate over time.
- After one day, people forget more than 70 percent of what was taught.
- Sleep has a huge impact on memory. It is recommended to have a full night’s sleep before beginning any new training.
- Regardless of what we want to believe, our brains don’t have the capacity to multi-task.
Don’t worry, your employee training courses aren’t completely doomed. According to eLearning Industry, there are ways to create a program that helps your employee’s brains retain new information and boosts memory power.
- Multimedia tools improve the brain’s memory.
- Brains work better at certain times of the day.
- Games help in keeping the brain fit, just like exercising your muscles.
- Most brains prefer images over text for retention purposes.
Luckily, making these changes to your current program won’t require a complete overhaul of your current system. However, with all the time and money devoted to employee training it’s important that employees are getting the maximum benefit. Making little updates such as adding interactive features, music, videos, and images will greatly facilitate in learning retention and engagement. Administering training at the optimal time of day for learning, allowing consistent breaks, and reminding your staff to get a full night’s sleep will also help.
In addition to these small changes, using a quality tracking system will aid in improving the effectiveness of your training by monitoring what works and what doesn’t. With an employee training tracking system such as Conductor Orchestrated Training, you can also keep your training system organized so more time can be focused on creating fresh and exciting learning content. Conductor’s special features such as student email reminders, the ability to enter notes, quick enroll, and progress updates keep employees informed and interested in their growth. Contact us today for more information.